Sunday, February 12, 2012

Have you seen it?
The time. Have you seen the time? It seems to have passed without me enjoying much of it.  Oh... you, too?  I don't know how some people find the time to do the things they do.  I know a mother of 3, all under the age of 5, who is going to school and still finds time to sew!  I have my one, very sweet toddler-girl and am in a constant battle over whether the bathroom should be cleaned or can it wait one more day while I get on the machine again.
I love to sew.  My grandmother was a seamstress (like, the real deal -- people would pay her to sew their wedding dresses and alter their clothing), and my mom taught me how to use a sewing machine and follow patterns.  

I want to know more.
Yes, I can follow a pattern and have made some things following great tutorials I found online.  And it's great fun, many people compliment my talent.  There's still a part of me that wants to know more.  I found an old book that I inherited from my grandmother called "Vogue Sewing". 
Front Cover 
After looking through it the other night I realized there is much more to this sewing business than I realized.  I even toyed with the idea of trying to work my way through it and blog as I go (you know, Julie & Julia style), but it's just not that type of book.

What is the point of this blog, anyway?
Well, I don't really know what direction I will be going with this yet.  The teacher in me wants it to be a resource for others (which "others" is still a mystery, as well), the regular person in me wants it to just be "hey, look what I did!", and the mom in me wants it to be about making kid-stuff.  If my daughter were old enough to work a machine, I would probably make it about teaching children to sew, but that is several years in the making ;).

No comments:

Post a Comment